The majority of us have misconceptions about frozen foods. One of them is that they are not as healthy as their fresh alternatives. And therefore, they are not good for your health. So, you must be careful when purchasing frozen food items such as foie gras buy. But this is not completely true. There are many reasons for purchasing some foods in frozen form. One of the main reasons is convenience. Here you don’t have to shell or peel some produce and you can have direct access to some ready-to-use ingredients whenever you cook. This way, you can even have access to “seasonal” produces out of the season. Besides, stocking frozen food also decreases food waste and we don’t need to worry about food items becoming stale or getting spoiled. And the second reason is that in most cases, frozen fruits are more nutritious compared to their fresh varieties.
Often fresh food items like fruits and vegetables are picked before they are perfectly ripened, and then they are packaged, shipped, and stored. So, the time between harvesting to serving to your plate can be several days or several weeks. As a result, the food often loses nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. But frozen food is harvested at peak ripeness and after that, they are, flash-frozen within several hours. It means by freezing these food items right away, the nutrients and flavors get locked in, compared to fresh vegetables and fruits.
Using frozen fruits and vegetables also allows you to create some highly delectable frozen food recipes. Starting from blending frozen fruits into some delectable smoothies to top your preferred pancakes or oatmeal, you can use them anywhere. Besides, you can also use the frozen mixed vegetables for preparing delectable soups with less mess and less work.
People often prefer using packed frozen dinners as they are much cheaper and healthier compared to delivery or takeout. So, you can save the calories and dollars, and stock up on your preferred freezer meals for nights when arranging some other dinner is very difficult.
But you indeed have to be careful when buying frozen food as the overpriced ones that you usually find in the grocery store freezer are not good always. You can also find healthy frozen food, which can be available even at cheap rates.
Here are several things when buying healthy frozen food:
1. Check the ingredients of frozen vegetables: The majority of the studies have proved frozen vegetables often contain more nutrients than their fresh counterparts as they are cut and frozen instantly. But when purchasing frozen vegetables, always look for the ingredients or whether the vegetables are 100% pure. You must know what you are buying before paying.
2. Stay away from pre-seasoned meat: If you want to have steak, then it is better to purchase it fresh and then freeze it. You should avoid pre-seasoned frozen meat as it includes loads of unhealthy ingredients like sodium, which are not good for your health.
3. Double-check the frozen items before buying: Before purchasing the frozen food or frozen fruit Singapore from any grocery store, double-check it for lumps. Lumps are an indication that the item was thawed and then refrozen again. When it happens, the food item has a huge chance of retaining fewer nutrients.
4. Check the size of the serving: Frozen foods are available in different packages and you can’t eat the entire package every time. So, to avoid consuming extra calories, it is better to check the size of the serving before buying.
5. Don’t buy vegetables with any sauce or cheese: If you want to buy something healthy in frozen food, then you should avoid buying vegetables with any sauce or cheese. Sauce and cheese often contain high amounts of calories and sodium.
6. Opt for frozen food that contains low sodium: Whenever you plan to buy frozen meat or any other food, check the sodium count. Choose items that contain a lower level of sodium, which is below 200mg.
7. Never purchase fruits with sweeteners: This is another thing like frozen strawberries with syrup that is not good for your body. Most fruits we eat are sweet enough, so they don’t need more sugar. This is why it is always better to check the ingredients before buying those fruits.
8. Check the term “healthy” on the box of frozen food you purchase: According to experts, this is a clear indication of good nutrition of foods. So, whenever you purchase frozen food items, opt for products of popular brands, which specialize in offering healthy and good food. Apart from that, consider buying frozen food with 300 calories or less than that.
So, you can see, frozen foods can be good for your health. All you have to do is to check the above-mentioned points to ensure you are purchasing the best things.