Often people have a misconception about frozen foods. One of the main misconceptions is that they are not as healthy as their fresh counterparts and therefore they are not good for health. But in reality, frozen foods are good for your health, affordable, delicious, and also last for a long time. So, there are many reasons why buying frozen food is good for you.
If you don’t care about eating local or organic foods, eating frozen food is a great choice. Remember, frozen food items are also fresh produced products, harvested at the pick ripeness, blanched, and then they are flash-frozen within a few hours of the harvesting time. Due to the flash-freezing techniques, frozen food items perfectly maintain the nutrients, vitamins, flavor, and antioxidants. Therefore, sometimes, they can be healthier than the fresh products available at the same stores as they are flash-frozen during the peak of ripeness whereas the raw fruits are often picked before they reach the peak.
Frozen food items can easily be microwaved, sometimes even with bags. According to the experts, it is better to microwave or steam the frozen vegetables instead of boiling them. The reason behind it is that the former technique minimizes the loss of different water-soluble vitamins.
Now let’s have a look at the things you must look for when purchasing healthy frozen foods.
1. When buying frozen vegetables, don’t forget to check the ingredients: Studies have proved that frozen vegetables come with more nutrients than their fresh counterparts as they are cut and then frozen instantly. So, when you purchase these vegetables, check the purity of the ingredients. If the purity is 100%, then you will get to know that you are only buying what you see and nothing else.
2. Don’t buy frozen products, which are available with added ingredients: Purchasing frozen vegetables and fruits are always a nutritious option, but having added ingredients can be problematic. So, if you are thinking of buying frozen vegetables, then avoid packages, which include butter sauces or cheese. These products come with a high calorie and high amount of sodium. Similarly, when it comes to buying frozen fruits Singapore, don’t buy packages with the word “sweetened” mentioned on them as you will not need the extra sugar. In these cases, the frozen fruits come with added sweeteners, which are not good for your health. Many fruits are generally
sweet, therefore they don’t need any added sugar.
3. Double-check the frozen food before you buy: Before purchasing the frozen food items, check properly for lumps. Lumps indicate that the product was thawed and then again refrozen. And if this happens, there is a high chance that the product will have fewer nutrients in it.
4. Don’t buy pre-seasoned meat: If you are planning to steak or barbeque, then it is better to purchase the products fresh and then freeze them later. When you buy frozen meat with the word “pre-seasoned” mentioned in the pack, then it will include loads of unhealthy sodium and other ingredients, which are not good for the health.
5. Check the serving size when buying: As you purchase healthy frozen food items like fermin chorizo iberico, it never means that you can eat the total package. Therefore, checking the serving size can help you to prevent consuming more calories and other unwanted things.
6. Always purchase frozen food items with low sodium: When it comes to buying frozen food items, then it is better to buy one with a low sodium level. The sodium content must be below 200 mg. Instead, go for frozen food items that have 300 calories or less.